A Short History of Plas Dinam
Plas Dinam was designed and built in 1873/4 by the well-known London based architect, W.E. Nesfield for his client, Captain Offley Crewe-Read, deputy lieutenant of the county and JP, and a descendant of the ancient Crewe family of Flintshire and Cheshire.The family did not ever actually live at Plas Dinam, and sold it when they ran into financial difficulty.
In 1884 Plas Dinam was bought by David Davies of Llandinam. Despite having been born into a humble family and starting work as a sawyer, David Davies went on to make a considerable fortune in the industrial revolution in Wales.
Gordonstoun School and the Agricultural College
For a short period during the war Gordonstoun School was relocated from Scotland to Plas Dinam to ensure the safety of the schoolboys. The house also housed an Agricultural College for a period after the war.
Lady (Eldrydd) Davies, wife of the Third Lord Davies, effectively inherited the house when her husband Mike was killed in action in Holland in 1944. Her father in law had died earlier in the same year. Raising two sons by herself at Llwynderw in the village, she took the momentous decision to move back into Plas Dinam in 1957 with her two sons David and Jonathan. It has been a much-loved family home ever since, with the current Lord and Lady Davies moving into the house after his mother’s death in 1966.
In 2001 a fire devastated the top floor of the house, and over a period of 2 years parts of the roof and house were rebuilt and much of the house was redecorated.
In 2011 the current Lord and Lady Davies decided to “downsize” and have moved out. Their daughter Eldrydd and her family have decided to move back to the area from Australia to look after Plas Dinam and allow other people to enjoy staying there.